Three-Alarm Blaze Torches Newton Home, Displaces Multiple Residents [VIDEO]
According to one resident, a dog managed to wake up an occupant before he was trapped by the fire.
Several Newton residents are without a home tonight after a three-alarm fire engulfed their two-family house at 11 Morgan Place.
Newton firefighters responded to the Nonantum blaze around 12:15 p.m. Friday to find heavy flames shooting out of the roof of the home. By 12:30 p.m., scanner reports indicated the fire was at three alarms.
According to Newton Fire Chief Bruce Proia, no one was seriously injured during the fire. The house, he said, is a total loss.
WBZ Boston reported today that eight people total were displaced by the fire.
Geralda Anancio, one of the residents displaced by the fire, told Patch that she lives in the home with her husband, two sons and a male roommate. The only person home at the time of the blaze was the male roommate, she said, who made it out of the home.
Anancio said the roommate was home napping when the fire broke out. A dog living in the house started barking and woke the roommate in time for him to get out. The dog then ran off to a neighbor's house.
The roommate, she added, was treated for smoke-related injuries.
Anancio said none of the residents living in the other half of the two-family house were home at the time of the fire.
According to the Red Cross Eastern Massachusetts Twitter feed, volunteers are helping those Morgan Place residents who have been displaced.
During the fire, heavy smoke filled billowed out of the home and filled the neighborhood around Morgan Place. Within an hour of the fire starting, the entire top half of the home was completely charred and the roof began to cave in.
Newton Police closed off several streets in the neighborhood during the fire, including parts of Watertown Street as well as Cook Street and Green Street.
Weston and Boston firefighters responded to the scene to help out while Waltham Fire Department provided coverage for some other fire stations in Newton.