Five Things You Need to Know Today: April 13
A local music festival, a food drive and a rival volleyball match.
1. Last chance to vote. You have until 9 a.m. this morning to cast your vote in this week's Best Of/Readers' Choice Poll for best place to buy sporting goods in Newton. City Sports is currently in the lead, with Modell's is second place. Cast your vote, leave a comment and write a review to make sure your favorite is the winner!
2. New England Music Festival. The 50th Annual New England Music Festival will kick off at the Newton Marriott tonight at 6 p.m. The festival, which will run through Sun., April 15, will feature more than 800 student musicians. Trophies, awards and scholarships totaling more than $25,000 will be handed out.
3. It's Friday the 13th! Are you superstitious? Share some of your favorite Friday the 13th facts in the comments section below.
4. Go Tigers! The Newton North boys' varsity volleyball team will face rival Brookline in a home match today at 4 p.m.
5. Last day for Underwood food drive! Today is the last day for the food drive at Underwood Elementary School to benefit the Centre Street Food Pantry. The pantry is especially in need of peanut butter, jelly, canned fruit, juices and handled paper bags. Collection bins will be accessible in front of the main office for donations