Five Things You Need to Know Today: Aug. 22
A book club event, ongoing auditions and a discussion about the use of the Health Department building at 1294 Centre St.
1. Health Building JAPG. The joint advisory planning group that has formed to study the Health Department building at 1294 Centre St. will meet tonight at 7 p.m. in room 202 at Newton City Hall. The group is discussing the potential reuse of the property, as the city's Health Department is relocating to City Hall.
2. Relationship Violence Action Committee. The committee will meet today at 3 p.m. in room 222 at Newton City Hall.
3. New Phil auditions ongoing. The New Philharmonia Orchestra is holding auditions (by appointment) Aug. 18-Sept. 5 at the First Baptist Church. Auditions are available for all strings, bassoon, horn, trombone and percussion (excluding timpani). To schedule an audition, send a resume to email@example.com.
4. Visit with an alderman. Ward 6 Alderman-at-Large Vicki Danberg will meet with constituents this morning at 9 a.m. at the Newton Senior Center.
5. NE Book Fair with William Martin. New England Book Award winner William Martin will be at the New England Mobile Book Fair tonight to talk about his new book The Lincoln Letter. The event starts at 7 p.m.