Five Things You Need to Know Today: Aug. 8
A blood drive, a landscape tour and a fun, family concert.
1. Dancing in the Parks. The Stacey Peasley Band will perform some family-friendly dancing music this evening at West Newton Common (intersection of Elm & Webster Streets). The free concert starts at 6:30 p.m. Rain location is the Newton Cultural Center.
2. Community Preservation Committee. The committee will meet tonight at 7 p.m. in room 209 at Newton City Hall. Agenda items include discussing criteria for recreation projects as well as drafting out some new funding guidelines for CPC projects.
3. Blood drive. The Newton Free Library will host a blood drive today from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
4. Happy hour with the Newton Dems. Want to chat about the 2012 campaigns? Have questions for local Democrats? The Newton Democratic City Committee will host a happy hour this evening from 5:30 p.m. - 7 p.m. at Mick Morgan's Pub. Locals are encouraged to stop by, say hello and ask questions.
5. "Landscape walk and talk." Marion Pressley, principal of Pressley Associates and an expert in historic master planning, cultural landscape reports and the preservation of public parks, will host a landscape tour starting from the Waterworks Museum at 2450 Beacon St. in Brighton (just over the Newton line). The free tour starts at 6 p.m.