Five Things You Need to Know Today: August 2
Daily, essential information at a glance.
1. The Friends of Hemlock Gorge will be holding their annual summer picnic today at Hamilton Place in Needham. The event starts at 6 p.m. and will run until dusk. Stop by for food, fun, music and celebration of this beautiful area.
2. Stop by the farmers’ market today at Cold Spring Park and get your fix of local produce, cheese, bread, ice cream and more. The market will be open from 1:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.
3. Wayne Potash will give a free music performance for kids today at the Newton Centre Playground. The performance begins at 1 p.m.
4. Mass Audubon’s annual photo contest is accepting submissions for just one more month! According to a press release issued by Mass Audubon, the organization is "in search of striking photographs that highlight people in nature and the beauty of Massachusetts wildlife and landscapes." The contest is open to all ages and skill levels and ends Sept. 5. Grand prize winners will be featured in a Mass Audubon publication. To submit photos and view the complete rules, visit www.massaudubon.org/picturethis.
5. The Newton Bluefish swim team will face Natick today in a home meet at Gath Pool. The meet begins at 6 p.m.