Five Things You Need to Know Today: Dec. 10
School Committee meets, Finance Committee meets and an open mic at Mick Morgan's.
1. School Committee. The Newton School Committee will meet tonight at 7 p.m. in the Education Center. The committee will go over MCAS scores, continue discussion on short-term space needs and potentially vote on the educational specifications for the new Angier Elementary. To view tonight's full agenda, check out the .pdf to the right.
2. Did you know? You can report coyote sightings to the city using this handy online tool. This tool helps Newton animal control officers know when and where coyotes are appearing in the city.
3. Finance Committee. The Board of Aldermen's Finance Committee will meet tonight at 7 p.m. in room 222 at City Hall. Items scheduled for discussion tonight include funding for the Newton Community Barn rehabilitation project as well as funding for a new ladder truck for the Fire Department. To view tonight's full agenda, check out the .pdf to the right.
4. You could win $100,000 for the Newton Public Schools. Simply submit a photo of your home's holiday decorations to our contest site. If you're a finalist, Patch will pay your December electric bill (up to $500) and the overall, nationwide winner will receive $100,000 for his/her local public school district. The contest ends Dec. 16!
5. Open mic. Tim Ko will host an acoustic open mic tonight at Mick Morgan's Pub. Local musicians are encouraged to stop by.