Five Things You Need to Know Today: Feb. 2
How much snow have you measured, Newton?
- Schools are closed across the city today, including Newton Public Schools, Newton Country Day School, Mount Alvernia High School, Jackson and Walnut Park Schools, Trinity Catholic High School, Newton Montessori School, Solomon Schechter Schools, Andover-Newton Theological School, Hebrew College and Lasell College.
- Newton City Hall and the Newton Free Library will open today at noon. Make sure you follow Newton Patch's live snow blog for updates on the storm.
- Today is Groundhog Day! If Punxsutawney Phil can manage to dig himself out of his hole, he'll give us his prediction for spring (although with today's weather -- it doesn't look like it's coming anytime soon.) Watch Phil make his prediction live online.
- Newton Patch is searching for parents to volunteer on our new Moms Council. The council will discuss a topic and answer questions in a weekly parenting column. If you're interested, e-mail Melanie.Graham@patch.com.
- The full Board of Aldermen is scheduled to hear a presentation on the new floor-area ratio rules proposed for residential homes, which have received approval in subcommittee. The meeting is scheduled fo 7:30 p.m. in room 201 of City Hall. This meeting has been POSTPONED.