Five Things You Need to Know Today: Jan. 24
A meeting about a Waban Area Council, and the Danforth Museum director will give a talk at the library.
1. Danforth Museum director to speak at NFL. The Newton Free Library will host Danforth Museum Director Katherine French tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the Druker Auditorium. French will give a talk on Boston Expressionism, a school that embraced a distinctive blend of visionary painting, dark humor and social commentary. The program is free and open to the public.
2. Mayor Warren giving keynote address. Mayor Setti Warren will be giving the keynote address at the annual Northeastern University Martin Luther King Jr. Convocation. The event will be held today at noon in Blackman Auditorium in Ell Hall.
3. Ad hoc committee to form a Waban Area Council. There will be a meeting of the ad hoc committee to form a Waban Area Council tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the Waban Library Center. The meeting is open to all voter-eligible residents of Waban who are interested in helping to establish this Council in order to streamline local communication and advocacy with City Hall on matters and concerns relevant to Waban.
4. Community Preservation Committee. The CPC will hold a public hearing tonight on further funding for the Newton Homebuyer Assistance Program. The meeting will be held at 7 p.m. in City Hall room 222. For more information on the Newton Homebuyer Assistance Program and the funding, check out the CPC website.
5. English Language Learning Resource Fair. The district's English Language Learners (ELL) Program will hold a resource fair tonight from 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. in the Newton North High School cafeteria. The fair will feature information on a number of different city resources for ELL students, including summer camps, preschool programs, adult English classes, after-school programs as well as guidance, college and career counselors. For more information, contact Dianna Kobayashi at 617-559-6045 or Dianna_Kobayashi@newton.k12.ma.us.