Five Things You Need to Know Today: July 7
American legion baseball, a gala fundraiser and free admission at the Jackson Homestead.
1. Free admission to the Jackson Homestead. It's the first weekend of the month, and that means Newton residents and families get free admission to the Jackson Homestead & Museum. Visit to learn more about the Garden City's history!
2. American legion baseball. The Newton Post 440 baseball team will face Malden today at Albemarle Field (250 Albemarle Road). The game is set to start at 2 p.m.
3. Amped up! The Circuit Theatre Company will hold a gala fundraiser tonight at the Newton Cultural Center to kick off its 2012 season. The evening will include food, fun and entertainment. Suggested donation of $10 (students) or $15 (adults) covers food and the evening's entertainment. The gala will run 6 p.m. - 9 p.m.
4. Looking for a deal? Check out this list of local yard sales happening this weekend in Newton and surrounding communities.
5. McDonald's is open. Patch correspondent and food writer Wendy Schapiro reported yesterday that the McDonald's on Needham Street is open after its extensive renovation. We'll have photos and more details for you shortly!