Five Things You Need to Know Today: June 10
A family concert, a walk with Historic Newton and Newton Highlands Village Day.
1. Newton Highlands Village Day. Join your neighbors in Newton Highlands for the annual village day today from noon - 5 p.m. There will be crafts, merchants, food, rides and a silent auction. The festivities will take place on Lincoln Street between Walnut Street and Bowdoin Street.
2. Family concert. Josh Shirber and the Jam Tones will play a family concert this morning at the Leventhal-Sidman Jewish Community Center. The concert starts at 10 a.m. and tickets are $10/member family and $15/non-member family. The concert is aimed toward families with kids 8-years old and under.
3. Historic Newton walk. Learn all about the history of Silver Lake and the Nonantum area in a Historic Newton walk this afternoon. The walk will conclude with a tour of the Adams Street Synagogue and its history, as the synagogue celebrates its 100th year in the community. The free walk starts at 2 p.m. at Coletti-Magni Park.
4. The Operas of Donizetti. Rick Askenase of the New England Opera Club will give an educational video tour and discussion of recent performances of Gaetano Donizetti Operas today at the Newton Free Library. The event begins at 2 p.m. and is free and open to the public.
5. Newton Firefighter Memorial Sunday. The annual Newton Firefighter Memorial Sunday will be held this morning at Newton Fire Headquarters starting at 10 a.m. The department will honor its members of the Newton Fire Department who have passed away in the last year.