Five Things You Need to Know Today: March 10
A centennial gala, a cheese tasting and a jazz festival.
1. Centennial Gala. The All Newton Music School will celebrate 100 years of community music today at its Centennial Gala. The event will be held at the Brae Burn Country Club at 6 p.m. and will feature comedian John Hodgman.
2. Jazz fest. The Newton South High School Jazz Ensemble will head to Boston today to compete in the Berklee High School Jazz Festival, one of the largest high school jazz festivals/competitions in the country. The event, which will be held at the Hynes Convention Center in Boston, is free and open to the public. It will run from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
3. Cheese tasting. Stop by the Four Corners Whole Foods today for a Parmigiano Reggiano cheese tasting starting at 2:30 p.m. Fun, food and prizes will all be a part of the event.
4. Fight night. The John M. Barry Boys & Girls Club of Newton and the Nonantum Boxing Club are teaming up for another Fight Night event tonight at Trinity Catholic High School. Tickets are $20 (general admission) and doors open at 7 p.m. A seated, VIP dinner starts at 5:30 p.m. and tickets for that package are $50-$65. For more information, contact Diane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. "Salutes Series." The New England Mobile Book Fair will kick off its "Salutes Series" today at 11 a.m. with "Salutes the Arts." The two-day event will highlight artists from around Newton and Greater Boston. Guests will also have the opportunity to purchase and take home their favorite works of art, as the artists will be selling pieces on site at the event.