Five Things You Need to Know Today: March 9
Local theatre, office hours with an alderman and a new liquor store in town.
1. Have you voted for your favorite pre-school/day care in Newton? Our Readers' Choice poll closes this morning at 9 a.m. Make sure to get in your last-minute votes and comments if you haven't done so already! The winner will be announced today at noon.
2. Local theatre. The Newton Country Players will present Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat tonight at 8 p.m. at Mass Bay College in Wellesley. Tickets are $20 for adults, $18 for students and seniors, and free for MassBay students, faculty, and staff. Donations for the Centre Street Food Pantry will also be taken at the door. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit the Newton Country Players website.
3. Ald. Linsky office hours. Ward 2 Alderman Stephen Linsky will make a visit to the Newton Senior Center today at 8:30 a.m. to visit with residents.
4. Police continuing investigation of missing BC student Franco Garcia. The Newton Police Department emailed its followers and members of the media yesterday with the following message: "Still an active an open investigation, we continue to work with our law enforcement partners following up on all leads and tips that come to our attention. Again, we’re asking for the public’s assistance with any information they may have to help find Franco. Anyone having any information is urged to contact the Newton Police Department at 617-796-2100, the Detective Bureau at617-796-2104 or use our Tips-Line at 617 796-2121."
5. New liquor store on Comm. Ave. According to a Tweet from @AndreaWBZ, a liquor store is looking to open soon on Commonwealth Avenue (near the intersection of Irving Street). The Board of Aldermen had some lengthy discussion about this store a couple of months back, but eventually voted in favor of having it open.