Five Things You Need to Know Today: Nov. 16
High school theatre, special recycling and a lunch concert.
1. NSHS theatre. Newton South's Lab Theatre will present "Self-Portrait" tonight, an evening of 10-minute plays. This is the second night of the production, which will also run tomorrow. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. and tickets are $8.
2. Electronics drop-off. The Newton Recycling Depot on Rumford Avenue hosts special Friday/Saturday drop-offs for electronics once per month. Today and tomorrow you can drop off electronics from 8 a.m. - noon. A full list of acceptable materials is available online. There will be a $12 charge to recycle each TV or computer monitor, and all other appliances and electronics accepted free-of-charge. Check or cash accepted, made payable to "CRT Recycling."
3. Last chance to show off your photos! Do you have a great photo of Newton? If it's chosen as our next Facebook cover photo, you'll win a $50 gift card! The contest closes today at noon. Upload your great Newton photo here.
4. Con Brio Lunch Concert. The All Newton Music School hosts Con Brio Friday concerts at lunchtime. Today's featured artist is jazz vocalist Dominique Eade. The concert starts at 11 a.m. followed by a catered lunch at noon. Tickets are $15 for the concert, $25 with lunch.
5. Open House at Solomon Schechter. The Solomon Schechter Day School (Lower School) will hold an open house today from 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. Families will be able to tour the school, visit classrooms, learn about the dual curriculum in both secular and Judaic studies, find out about tuition affordability programs and meet members of the school community. Babysitting is provided.