Five Things You Need to Know Today: Sept. 10
A rabies clinic, School Committee meets and Zoning & Planning Committee meets to discuss zoning at the Austin Street lot.
1. School Committee. The School Committee will hold its first meeting of the 2012-2013 school year tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the Education Center. Tonight's agenda is jam-packed, with updates on facilities and enrollment as well as a partnership with Boston University's School of Engineering. For tonight's full agenda, click the .pdf to the right.
2. Rabies clinic. The city of Newton will host a rabies clinic this evening at Newton Fire Station #3 in Newton Centre from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 .m. The clinic is open to all dogs or cats that are accompanied by someone 14-years old or older. For a three-year rabies vaccine, pet owners must bring proof of previous vaccination. For more information, call the Health and Human Services Department at 617-796-1420.
3. Teen author event. Annabel Monaghan, author of A Girl Named Digit, will appear tonight at the Newton Free Library starting at 7:30 p.m. Monaghan is also the author of Click! The Girls Guide to Knowing What You Want and Making it Happen, a guide to positive thinking for teens. The event will include a discussion as well as a book signing, with books provided by the New England Mobile Book Fair.
4. Zoning and Planning public hearing. The Board of Aldermen's Zoning and Planning Committee will meet tonight at 7:45 p.m. in the chamber at City Hall. The committee will hold a public hearing tonight on the re-zoning of the Austin Street lot to allow for a potential mixed-use development.
5. Hydrant flushing - FYI. The city will be flushing hydrants now through Nov. 1, 2012 from 9:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Residents may experience some discoloration in their water during the flushing. The flushing schedule rotates through the villages depending on the day, with Newton Corner, Newtonville, Nonantum, Upper Falls, Newton Highlands and Waban hydrants flushed on Mondays. Check out the city's website for more details on what you should know about hydrant flushing.