Five Things You Need to Know Today: Sept. 8
A big library celebration, a food drive and some high school football.
1. Food drive. Help out your Newton neighbors today and donate to the Centre Street Food Pantry. The two Newton Whole Foods locations will hold a food drive all day today. Items the pantry needs will be displayed for shoppers to buy and to put in special baskets at checkout.
2. Library celebration. The Newton Free Library will hold its "Get the Scoop at the Library" event today from 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. There will be free ice cream, information on library resources and activities for the whole family. Plus, the library will launch a new self-guided tour of its permanent art collection.
3. Hawks vs. Tigers. The Newton North and Waltham football teams will face off today at Newton North. Newton Mayor Setti Warren and Waltham Mayor Jeannette McCarthy have wagered a bet on today's game, which kicks off at 1 p.m.
4. Yard sales. There are a ton of yard sales happening in Newton today -- check out this local list to see where you can find deals.
5. Wrestling in Newton. We Are Wrestling (WAW) -- an independent wrestling group out of New Hampshire -- will put on a show tonight at the Newton Elks Lodge, 429 Centre St. The show features two local West Roxbury sisters and starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $10; kids, $7.