Newton Aldermen Send Debt Exclusion Discussion to Finance, Approve Austin St. Committee
The Joint Advisory Planning Group will discuss the future of the Austin Street municipal lot.
Aside from Monday night's lengthy debate on the sidewalk shoveling ordinance, aldermen also decided to postpone the discussion of a possible debt exclusion override to cover the debt for Newton North High School.
Earlier this month, the Programs & Services Committee considered the possibility of a debt exclusion, agreeing in a 4-3 vote to bring it forward for a conversation with the mayor and administration. Ald. Mitchell Fischman, Richard Blazar and John Rice opposed the item while Ald. Amy Mah Sangiolo, Ted Hess-Mahan, Carleton Merrill and Stephen Linsky approved.
However, the full board Monday night decided to refer the item back to the Finance Committee, who initially voted "no action necessary" on the item.
As Ald. Amy Mah Sangiolo pointed out at the subcommittee meeting, the Newton North debt takes up about $10 million of the budget each year and remains “a major part of [the city’s] budget problem.”
In addition, aldermen Monday night approved 14 members of a Joint Advisory Planning Group that will work to make recommendations on the future use of the Austin Street municipal parking lot.
Late last year, the board agreed to vote the lot as "surplus" and consider it for development.
The Real Property & Reuse Committee met briefly before the full board meeting Monday night and unanimously approved of seven aldermanic appointees to the committee as well as seven mayoral appointees. The full board then unanimously approved of the committee appointees during its regular meeting.
The appointees to the committee include:
- Robert Wilson, of 30 Foster St., Newtonville
- Philip Herr, of 20 Marlboro St., Newton
- Catherine Farrell, of 67 Oak Cliff Road, Newtonville
- Judy Jacobson, of 289 Cypress St., Newton Centre
- Carol Ann Shea, of 22-24 Milo St., West Newton
- Ken Wong, of 25 Highland Ave. #4, Newtonville
- Giles Taylor, of 10 Lowell Ave., Newtonville
- Jane Shoplick, of 602 Centre St., Newton
- Rev. F. Robert Tafel, 29 Fisher St., Needham (Board member of Swedenborgian Church of the Open Word, l lA Highland Avenue)
- Barbara Smith-Bacon, of 110 Waban Avenue, Waban
- Rob Caruso, of 237C Watertown Street, Nonantum
- David Morton, of 148 Edinboro Street, Newtonville
- Jack Leader, of 613 California Street, Newtonville
- Adel Foz, of 16 Page Road, Newtonville