Newton Baseball, Softball, Lacrosse Teams Prep for Tournament Play
A number of Newton sports teams will be represented in the MIAA spring 2012 tournaments.
Newton will certainly be well represented in this year's Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) spring tournaments.
Aside from Newton's ongoing victories at this year's outdoor track championships, nine other Newton sports teams will be heading to tournament play this spring.
One of the first big matches will take place tonight between the Newton South boys' volleyball team and Barnstable, who will face off in a quarterfinal match for the South Div. 1 tournament.
Below is a schedule of the upcoming tournament play. Stay tuned to Newton Patch for updates:
Tues., May 29, 2012:
- The fifth-seeded Newton South boys' volleyball team (14-6) will face #4 Barnstable (13-5) in a quarterfinal match in Barnstable at 4 p.m. Both teams received a bye in the first round of play.
Wed., May 30, 2012:
- The #12 Newton North boys' lacrosse team (13-4) will face #21 Haverhill (13-5) in a preliminary round game at Newton North. The East Div. 1 match starts at 2 p.m.
- The #7 Newton North girls' lacrosse team (12-5-1) will face #10 Hingham (13-7) in a South Div. 1 first round match in Newton at 5 p.m. The Newton North team received a bye in the preliminary round.
- The Newton North boys' volleyball team (16-1), which is ranked second in the South Div. 1 tournament, will face #7 Brockton (13-7) in a quarterfinal match in Newton at 7 p.m.
Thurs., May 31, 2012:
- The ninth-ranked Mount Alvernia softball team (13-7) will face #24 Watertown (2-18) in a North Div. 3 preliminary round game at 3:15 p.m. The game will take place in Newton.
- The #14 Trinity Catholic softball team (12-7) will face #19 Latin Academy (11-9) in a North Div. 3 preliminary round game at Albemarle Field in Newton. The game will start at 3:15 p.m.
- The #22 Newton North baseball team (10-10) will face #11 Lexington (12-8) in a North Div. 1 preliminary round game in Lexington at 2 p.m.
- The #19 Newton South baseball team (10-10) will face #14 Haverhill (11-9) in a North Div. 1 preliminary round game in Haverhill at 4 p.m.
Sat., June 2, 2012:
- The third-ranked Newton North softball team (17-3) will face the winner of a May 31 game between #14 Methuen and #19 North Andover in a North Div. 1 first round game. That first round game will start at 4 p.m. The Newton North softball team received a bye in the preliminary round.
Information provided by the MIAA tournament website.