Newton Mayor to Hold Additional Town Hall Meetings on Override Proposal
The next meeting will be held tomorrow, Jan. 27 at the Pellegrini Field House in Nonantum.
Newton Mayor Setti Warren has scheduled additional town hall meetings to discuss his proposed $11.4 million override.
The next town hall meeting will be held Sunday, Jan. 27 at 1 p.m. in the Pellegrini Field House on Hawthorn Street in Nonantum.
Other upcoming town hall meetings include:
- Thursday, Jan. 31 at 7 p.m. at the Scandinavian Living Center
- Sunday, Feb. 10 at 1 p.m. in the Ward Elementary School gym
- Sunday, Feb. 10 at 3:30 p.m. at Oak Hill Middle School
- Thursday, March 7 at 7 p.m. at Mason Rice Elementary School
Newton voters will head to the polls on March 12 to consider three separate override questions. Overall, the proposed override package includes:
- An $8.4 million operational override that includes $4.5 million to help with high student enrollment (teachers and short-term space); $500,000 for police personnel and equipment; $1 million for street and sidewalk repair; $800,000 for renovation and rebuilding of Fire Station #3 and Fire Headquarters; $1.6 million to renovate/expand Zervas Elementary.
- A debt exclusion for Angier Elementary School rebuilding
- A debt exclusion for Cabot Elementary School rebuilding/renovation
“We need this override if we want to modernize our dilapidated and outdated facilities, create space and hire teachers for the huge influx of students in our schools, repair crumbling roads and sidewalks, and improve public safety,” Warren said in a statement. “The Town Halls are a place where city leaders and residents can have an open dialogue about the override package and why it’s so critical to Newton’s future.”
Other town hall meetings have already been held at Cabot and Angier schools.
According to city officials, if all three overrides pass, the average Newton tax bill will increase by approximately 50 cents for every $1,000 valuation of a home. This amounts to an average of $343 per year, based on Newton's median home price of $686,000.