Newton North Girls Outdoor Track Team Earns State Title
The team scored 52 points in Tuesday's MIAA Outdoor Track State Championship, 16 points above the second place finish.
The girls scored a total of 52 points in the meet, 16 points above second place finisher Wachusett.
Leading the way was junior Carla Forbes, who finished first in both the long jump and triple jump.
The girls 4x800 meter relay and 4x100 meter relay teams also played an important role, each finishing second in their events.
The Newton North boys outdoor track team also had a strong showing at the state meet; the Tigers finished sixth overall with a total of 23 points.
Here are some highlights from yesterday's all-state meet, which was held at Fitchburg State University:
- Newton North senior Kayla Wong finished second in the 100 meter hurdles
- North senior Steph Brown finished second in the pole vault
- Newton South junior Kyra Visnik finished third in the pole vault
- The Newton South girls outdoor team finished 39th overall
- Newton North junior David Oluwadara finished third in the triple jump
- Newton North senior Swardick Mayanja finished second both the discus throw and shot put
- Newton North junior Ryan Lucken finished eighth in the 400 meter dash