Newton North Track Teams Take Top Honors
The Newton North boys' and girls' indoor track teams finished out on top, with one athlete breaking a record in long jump.
Looking at the final score sheet for Sunday's Div. 1 Indoor Track Championships, one could point out "Newton" quite a few times.
But it was the Newton North girls' indoor track team that took home the top spot Sunday; the girls placed first in the division championships, beating out 29 other teams from across the state.
The Newton North boys' indoor track team was not far behind, placing second overall in a division championship with 35 teams.
On the girls' side, junior Carla Forbes helped the Newton North team along the way, placing first in the 55 meter dash with a time of 7.21. Forbes also took the top spot in the long jump with a distance of 19-09.00, a new record.
The Newton North girls' 4x400 relay team also took first place with a time of 4:00.84.
The Newton North boys had an impressive showing in the shot put event, with senior Swardick Mayanja placing first and Young Guang placing third.
Here are some other highlights from the Division 1 Indoor Track Championships on Sunday, which were held at the Reggie Lewis Track & Athletic Center in Roxbury:
- Newton North junior Madison Nadeau placed third in the girls 300 meter dash with a time of 41.76
- Newton North junior Meghan Bellarose placed 5th in the girls 600 meter run with a time of 1:35
- Newton North senior Kayla Wong placed second in the girls 55 meter hurdles with a time of 8.25
- The Newton North team placed fourth in the girls 4x200 meter relay with a time of 1:49.27
- Newton North senior Kayla Wong placed fourth in the girls long jump with a distance of 16-10.75
- The Newton South girls' team finished 23rd overall
- Newton North senior Justin Keefe finished fourth in the boys 1,000 meter run with a time of 2:32.67
- Newton South junior Jung Park finished third in the boys 55 meter hurdles with a time of 7.80
- The Newton North team finished second in the boys 4x200 meter relay
- The Newton North team finished second in the boys 4x400 meter relay
- The Newton South team finished fourth in the boys 4x400 meter relay
- The Newton South boys' team finished 11th overall
Several of the Newton runners who placed high enough in Sunday's division championships will move on to the all-state meet next Saturday.
Information provided by the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) tournament website.
Do you have photos or video from Sunday's event? Upload them to this story by clicking the "Upload Photos and Videos" button below the photo above.