Police Investigating Rash of Car Breaks in West Newton Area
Some of the streets hit include Fordham Road, Harding Street, Fairway Drive, Rangley Road and Farwell Street.
The Newton Police Department is investigating a string of motor vehicle break-ins that occurred overnight in the West Newton area.
Officers responded to more than a dozen reports of car break-ins today, all of which appeared to have happened sometime overnight. A list of the locations includes:
- Fordham Road - (Two Reports)
--Owner parked his Jeep Wrangler in the driveway around 7 p.m. Thursday and left the car unlocked.
--Another resident also had her unlocked car broken into on this road overnight.
- North Gate Park - (Two reports)
--One owner parked his Mercedes in his driveway around 1 a.m. Friday morning. Around 7 a.m., he noticed someone entered through an unlocked door.
--Another owner parked her Subaru Outback in her driveway around 1 a.m. and at 7 a.m., she found someone had entered the car through an unlocked door.
- Harding Street - (Three Reports) Three separate residents left vehicles unlocked overnight in their driveways.
- Fairway Drive - (Two reports)
--One owner parked his Jeep Wrangler in the driveway around 9:15 p.m. Thursday and left the car unlocked.
--Another owner parked his Yaris in his driveway around 11 p.m. Thursday and left the car unlocked.
- Taft Avenue - (Three reports)
--One owner parked her Subaru Outback in her driveway around 9 p.m. Thursday and left it unlocked.
--Owner left an unlocked Lexus sedan unlocked in the driveway overnight.
--Someone entered an unlocked car that was parked in the driveway overnight.
- Farwell Street - Someone used a crowbar to enter a black Honda that was parked in a lot off Farwell Street overnight.
- Hazelhurst Avenue - Someone entered a Chevy K1500 truck that was left unlocked and parked on the street overnight.
- Waltham Street - Someone entered an unlocked car that was parked in a driveway overnight.
Residents are reminded to lock vehicles and remove all valuables from the car.
Anyone having information on the breaks is urged to contact the Newton Police at 617-796-2100, or use the anonymous TIPS Line at 617-796-2121.