Small Fire Reported at Newton JCC
All children and teachers are safe and accounted for.
A small stove fire broke out at Newton's Leventhal-Sidman JCC Monday just after 10:30 a.m.
According to Ilise Krieger, a spokesperson for the JCC, the small fire happened in room F at the Bernice B. Godine Early Learning Center. At the time, all the children were outside and no one was injured in the incident.
The building was quickly evacuated during the fire and the Newton Fire Department cleared the scene shortly after arriving. The only reported damage was the top of the stove in room F, Krieger said.
Due to a smoky smell still lingering in the area, children in room F and the surrounding areas were relocated to another part of the building. The school is currently working on cleaning and ventilating the room.
Krieger said parents of children in room F were contacted directly and other JCC Early Learning Center parents were informed of the incident via email.