The Week's Top Stories: Robberies, a Restaurant Closes and Newton Loses an Alderman
The top headlines in Newton from the last seven days.
- Newton has seen an increase in large-capacity gun permits in the last five years.
- Newton celebrated the life and legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. this week with a community gathering at Temple Beth Avodah.
- More details have been released in the Newton Police egging incident that happened late last year.
- Several members of the Board of Aldermen voted against the Newton Police Chief Search Committee because of the lack of women on the committee.
- Sad news to report this week: Newton Ward 1 Alderman-at-Large passed away on Thursday at the age of 88. You can leave a memory of Alderman Merrill here or flip through a Patch photo gallery of Alderman Merrill. Funeral services will be held early this week.
- Take a look at the construction going on at the new Sports Club/LA and The Street in Chestnut Hill.
- A Newton woman crashed her car into the Waban Shoe Repair shop Thursday morning.
- An armed suspect robbed a woman near the Chestnut Hill T stop Thursday night.