The Week's Top Stories: Senate Race News, Chestnut Hill Businesses and a Kitchen Fire
The most popular Newton news from the last seven days.
- The AMC theatre in Chestnut Hill is officially closed, but a new Showcase Super Lux is on the way. City Sports is also closed temporarily as it moves to its new location next door.
- Newton Firefighters quickly extinguished a two-alarm fire on Freeman Street Monday. The fire reportedly caused $150,000 in damages, officials said.
- A date has been set for a special state primary and election for John Kerry's vacant senate seat.
- Family, friends, colleagues and elected officials said goodbye to Alderman Carleton Merrill this week.
- A group opposing Mayor Setti Warren's $11.4 million proposed override has joined the conversation.
- Gov. Deval Patrick officially named former Chief of Staff William "Mo" Cowan as the state's interim senator.
- U.S. Rep. Stephen Lynch has officially announced his candidacy for the vacant Senate seat. Scott Brown, however, has officially said he will not run.
- How will Newton fill Alderman Carleton Merrill's Ward 1 at-large seat? Well, it may not be that easy.
- That famous groundhog made his prediction this weekend -- will Newton have more winter or an early spring?