Tips for Trash and Recycling Collection in the Snow
The Newton Department of Public Works Environmental Affairs Division offers tips for Newton residents who are placing trash and recycling curbside.
With two feet of snow on the ground, trash and recycling collectors will face a bit of a challenge this week as they visit Newton neighborhoods.
But with a few tips from the Newton DPW Environmental Affairs Division, residents can help out their collector:
1. Place items for collection out to the curb by 7 a.m. on your collection day
2. As in the past, the solid waste collection personnel are not required to climb snow banks. Carts must be accessible from the street by the automated arm, the carts cannot be behind a snow bank. Please place your carts in a clear spot, such as at the foot of your driveway or shovel out a designated spot.
3. If it is snowing on your collection day, please do not place your carts in the street or on a sidewalk if it plowed by the city.
However, if the following situations exist, carts will not be collected until your next regular collection day. We ask that you take it in until that time:
1. If trash and recyclables were placed curbside after the trucks passed the route, the trucks will not return.
2. In many instances, trash and recyclables are buried in the snow due to amount of snowfall, drifts or snow plowing operations. All reasonable attempts will be made to extract the material from the snow.
3. If trash and recyclables have been placed on a high mountain of plowed snow, climbing the mountain to obtain the material is a safety issue.
The above information was provided by the Newton Environmental Affairs Division.
For more local blizzard coverage, follow the Newton Storm Center.