Week in Review: A New Market; A Campus Fight; A Million-Dollar Winner
The week's top headlines in Newton.
- The city held a ribbon cutting and official dedication for its new Sept. 11 Memorial in Newton Centre.
- The new Newton Winter Farmers' Market started on Tuesday at the Hyde Community Center.
- City officials held an informational meeting this week on the turkey and coyote population in Newton.
- The Mall at Chestnut Hill is seeking permits to add new restaurants and upgrade its exterior.
- A Newton-Wellesley Hospital doctor was recently arrested after she allegedly drove under the influence and crashed her car in a Wellesley intersection.
- The Newton North girls' volleyball team played in the state Div. 1 championships this weekend. Unfortunately, Barnstable defeated the Tigers in the final.
- The Newton-Needham Chamber of Commerce held its 97th Annual Achievement Breakfast Wednesday morning with State Treasurer Steve Grossman.
- A judge ruled out the sentence of life without parole for a Newton teen charged with murder.
- Is there a new sandwich shop coming to Newtonville? It certainly looks that way.
- A woman reportedly robbed a Newton convenience store at gunpoint Wednesday night.
- A Newton Upper Falls convenience store sold a $1 million scratch ticket Thursday morning.
- Five different police agencies responded to a fight at Mount Ida College Thursday night involving approximately 100 students.
- A Newton woman was in the ICU following a serious car crash on Cherry Street Thursday evening.