Week in Review: Elections Recap; A Nor'Easter; New Restaurant News
The top headlines in Newton this week.
- Newton Patch started quite the discussion with local residents and what they thought about a fee charged for single-use shopping bags. Tell us, what do you think?
- Patch and AOL teamed up to help Hurricane Sandy victims in New York and New Jersey.
- Who won Newton's vote on Election Day? Democrats took all races in Newton handily, and all of the ballot questions (both binding and non-binding) had clear support.
- Overall, 78 percent of Newton's registered voters made it out to the polls on Tuesday.
- Patch was on hand to catch video and photo of Mitt Romney casting his ballot in Belmont. We also have a photo gallery of other elected officials voting in their hometowns.
- Did you catch our live-tweeting of the Romney campaign party?
- In addition to the presidential race, all eyes were on the Mass. Senate race and Elizabeth Warren defeated Scott Brown.
- In local races, Joe Kennedy III defeated Republican Sean Bielat for the Fourth Congressional District Seat.
- Democrat Kay Khan won her 10th term in the Massachusetts House.
- Democrat John Lawn defeated Republican Francis Stanton for the 10th Middlesex District seat.
- Democrat Marilyn Pettito Devaney was re-elected to the Governor's Council.
- Have you seen photos of the completed Newton Sept. 11 Memorial? A dedication was held this weekend.
- How did you fare in this week's nor'easter? The city of Newton had extra personnel on hand to deal with the snow.
- Have you tried out the new Waban Kitchen? We have the scoop on the food and philosophy behind the new restaurant.