Week in Review: Override Ballot Question Moves Forward; Tax Rates; Holiday Cheer
This week's top headlines in Newton.
- The Newton Cultural Alliance announced this week that it has acquired the historic Nathaniel Allen House in West Newton and plans to convert it into a community arts center.
- Ward 1 School Committee member Geoff Epstein announced this week he is not planning to run for reelection next year.
- The Newton Board of Aldermen approved this week the $11.4 million override ballot questions and the March 12, 2013 special election.
- The holiday season has officially started in Newton with lighting celebrations in Waban, Nonantum and at City Hall.
- Newton homeowners and businesses will see a tax increase next year now that the aldermen have approved the new tax rate.
- We found out when the last malls at the Atrium Mall will be closing.
- At least one Newton child is among the victims of alleged sex crimes at a Wakefield day care center.