Where to Celebrate Easter in Newton
Check out what services and events are going on around Newton in celebration of Easter and Holy Week.
CHURCH OF THE REDEEMER, 379 Hammond St., Chestnut Hill
- Maundy Thursday, April 21: Lenten supper at 6:30 p.m. followed by liturgy with stripping of the altar and washing of feet at 7:30 p.m.
- Good Friday, April 22: Liturgy with reserved sacrament at 12 p.m. and children’s liturgy at 6 p.m.
- Easter Sunday, April 24: Family Eucharist at 9 a.m. and Festal Eucharist at 11 a.m.
ELIOT CHURCH OF NEWTON, 474 Centre St., Newton
- Maundy Thursday worship service on April 21 at 7:30 p.m.
- Good Friday worship service on April 22 at 7:30 p.m.
- Easter Sunday worship service on April 24 at 10 a.m.
EPISCOPAL PARISH OF SAINT PAUL, 1135 Walnut St., Newton
- Morning prayer followed by literary reflections on Holy Week on Thursday and Friday, April 21 – 22 at 7:30 a.m.
- Maundy Thursday, April 21: Simple supper at 6:30 p.m. followed by Eucharist and servant washing and stripping of the altar at 7:30 p.m.
- Good Friday, April 22: Service of enacted stations of the cross and reserve Eucharist at 7:30 p.m.
- Holy Saturday, April 23: Celebration of the great Easter vigil at 8 p.m. followed by a festive champagne banquet at 10 p.m.
- Easter Sunday, April 24: Easter sunrise service at 6:04 a.m., Festive Holy Eucharist at 10:30 a.m., and Easter brunch and egg hunt at 12 p.m.
EPISCOPAL PARISH OF THE MESSIAH, 1900 Commonwealth Ave., Auburndale
- Maundy Thursday service on April 21 at 7 p.m.: The rite of foot washing and the remembrance of the Last Supper followed by meditation and vigil in the church’s “Garden of Gethsemane.”
- Walk the Stations of the Cross in the church sanctuary on Friday, April 22 at 2 p.m.
- Good Friday service on April 22 at 7 p.m.: The congregation will join United Parish of Auburndale, 64 Hancock Street, for a solemn service of scripture and story remembering Jesus’ trial and execution.
- Easter Vigil on Saturday, April 23 at 7 p.m.: The congregation will join Church of the Good Shepherd, 9 Russell Avenue, Watertown, for an Easter Vigil service for an evening of song and celebration. Special refreshments will be served after the service.
- Easter Sunday service on April 24 at 10:30 a.m.: Celebrate Christ’s resurrection with the Festival Mass of Easter. A parish feast of sweets and the children's Easter egg hunt follows the service.
EVANGELICAL BAPTIST CHURCH OF NEWTON, 23 Chapel St., Newton
- Good Friday service on April 22 at 7 p.m.
- Easter Sunday breakfast on April 24 at 9 a.m. followed by Easter Sunday service at 10:30 a.m.
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH IN NEWTON, 848 Beacon St., Newton Center
- Maundy Thursday, April 21: Soup and bread supper at 6 p.m. and tenebrae and communion service at 7 p.m.
- Easter Sunday, April 24: Sunrise service at Crystal Lake at 6:30 a.m. (meet at the church at 6:15 a.m.), pancake breakfast and kids’ crafts at 7:30 a.m., Easter egg hunt and adult Sunday School at 9:30 a.m., worship service with trumpet and flute accompaniment at 10:30 a.m.
FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST, SCIENTIST, 1141 Walnut St. Newton
- Sunday morning service on Easter, April 24 at 10:45 a.m. with Sunday School at the same time.
FIRST UNITARIAN SOCIETY IN NEWTON, 1326 Washington St., West Newton
- Easter Sunday service on April 24 at 10:15 a.m., with sermon titled “Moments of Wonder.”
GRACE EPISCOPAL CHURCH, 76 Eldredge St., Newton
- Maundy Thursday service on April 21 at 7 p.m.
- Good Friday children’s service on April 22 at 12 p.m. and Good Friday Liturgy at 7 p.m.
- Easter breakfast on Sunday, April 24 at 9 a.m. and Festival Eucharist at 11 a.m.
GREEK EVANGELICAL CHURCH OF BOSTON, 1115 Centre St., Newton
- Holy Friday service on April 22 at 7 p.m.
- Easter service on Sunday, April 24 at 10 a.m. and evening worship service at 7 p.m.
LUTHERAN CHURCH OF THE NEWTONS, 1310 Centre St., Newton
- Maundy Thursday, April 21: Rite of foot washing at 7 p.m. and liturgy and stripping of the altar at 7:30 p.m.
- Good Friday, devotions on April 22 from 12 to 3 p.m.: Meditations on seven words from the cross. Come and go as you are able for this three-hour service.
- Good Friday liturgy on April 22 at 7 p.m.
- Easter Sunday, April 24: Easter breakfast from 8:15 to 9:30 a.m., festival Eucharist of the resurrection at 10 a.m. followed by a children’s Easter egg hunt.
NEWTON HIGHLANDS CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, 54 Lincoln St. Newton
- Good Friday Tenebrae worship on April 22 at 7:30 p.m.: A solemn recollection of the last words of Jesus, guided by our senior choir and colored by the growing darkness of the room.
- Easter Sunday, April 24: Community Easter egg hunt at 9:40 a.m. followed by worship at 10 a.m., a joyous worship celebration with Communion and trumpets. Child care will be provided, but there is no church school on this holiday. Fellowship following worship.
NEWTON PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, 75 Vernon St., Newton
- Maundy Thursday Seder on April 21 at 6 p.m. with childcare provided for children under 5
- Good Friday service on April 22 at 12 p.m.
- Easter Sunday sunrise celebration on April 24 at 6 a.m. with pancake breakfast from 6:30 to 8:30 a.m. Blended contemporary service at 9 a.m. and traditional service at 11:15 a.m., both with cupcake fellowship and hallelujah chorus.
ST. MARY’S EPISCOPAL CHURCH, 258 Concord St., Newton
- Maundy Thursday Holy Eucharist service on April 21 from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m.: The choir will lead Passiontide hymns and sing Mozart’s Ave verum as the congregation remembers the Last Supper and strip the altar in preparation for Good Friday.
- Good Friday Liturgy on April 22 from 7:30 to 8 p.m.
- Sunrise Easter service on the lawn on Sunday, April 24 at 5:30 a.m.
- Easter service followed by Easter egg hunt on Sunday, April 24 at 10 a.m.: The Adult Choir, accompanied by trumpeter Ken Laing, will sing anthems by Craig Courtney, Jeffrey Rickard, and Healey Willan. Guest flutist Wilhelmina Ulbrich will join the choir in Easter Carol by Richard Proulx. The congregation and choirs will sing Easter hymns together. The service will be followed by an Easter Egg in the churchyard.
THE SECOND CHURCH IN NEWTON, UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST, 60 Highland St., West Newton
- Maundy Thursday service on April 21 at 6:30 p.m.: Gather in Fellowship Hall for a simple supper of bread, cheese, fruit, and tomato broth. The meal will conclude with a Communion and Tenebrae service.
- Good Friday service on April 22 at 7:30 p.m.: A Musical Tenebrae from the Austro-Bohemian Baroque will be played in the Sanctuary.
- Easter Sunday service on April 24 at 10 a.m.: A joyous celebration of the Resurrection to be topped off with a congregational Hallelujah Chorus from Handel’s Messiah.
TRINITY EPISCOPAL CHURCH, 11 Home St., Newton Center
- Agape meal on Thursday, April 21 at 6:30 p.m. followed by Maundy Thursday service at 7:30 p.m.
- Good Friday Liturgy on April 22 at 7:30 p.m.
- Great Vigil of Easter on Saturday, April 23 at 8:30 p.m.
- Easter Sunday Holy Eucharist on April 24 at 10 a.m., followed by an Easter egg hunt.
UNITED PARISH OF AUBURNDALE, 64 Hancock St., Auburndale
- Maundy Thursday service, a service of Tenebrae and Holy Communion, on April 21 at 7 p.m.
- Good Friday service on April 22 at 7 p.m.
- Easter Sunday service on April 24 from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.: Readings from the Scriptures, Colossians 3:1-4 and Matthew 7:7-14, followed by a sermon, the anthem "Easter Cantata" by Hovhaness, and a children's Easter egg hunt following the service.
If you know of any services or events that we've missed, let us know in the comments!