Invite a friend
TODAY: How to Avoid Potential Scams
On Tuesday, Oct. 9 at the Newton Senior Center, the city of Newton will be hosting a presentation advising residents about potential scams and how they can be avoided.
Among the speakers today will be Mayor Setti Warren, Director of Senior Services Jayne Colino, Meaghan Connolly, mediator from the Office of Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley, Newton Police Department Elder Affairs Officer Eric Rosenbaum, and Mim Cole and Judy Zohn, co-directors of the Attorney General's Newton-Brookline Consumer Office.
This will be a great opportunity for residents to learn about the most recent scams, how to protect themselves and against them, and where to report them.
The presentation is free and open to all, and will take place at the Newton Senior Center, located at 345 Walnut St. in Newtonville, today at noon
More About Newton Senior Center
Whether you are from Newton or just a nearby resident, the Newton Senior Center offers a full calendar of programs for people over the age of 50. Seniors can participate in a long list of courses and activities ranging from fitness to foreign language, computers to Chinese painting. Studio time is available for artists and musicians are welcome to sit in on swing band or chamber group sessions. A game room is also available, featuring pool, Mah-Jongg, poker, chess and bingo.
While many programs at the center are free, several ask for small donations from participants.
The Newton Senior Center is a short, three-minute walk from the Newtonville MBTA Commuter Rail station (purple line, Framingham/Worcester line). The #59 MBTA bus also stops nearby at the intersection of Walnut Street and Washington Park.
Other events here
- Walking Group Weekly on Wednesdays, 9:00 am–10:00 am
- Norumbega Park Exhibit Wed, May 29, 1:00 pm–2:00 pm
- Diabetes Self Management May 22, 2013 / May 29, 2013 / June 5, 2013 / June 12, 2013 / June 19, 2013 / June 26, 2013, 1:00 pm–3:30 pm
- Observational Drawing May 13, 2013 / May 20, 2013 / June 3, 2013, 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- History of Math May 8, 2013 / May 15, 2013 / May 22, 2013 / June 5, 2013, 10:00 am–11:00 am
- Alderman Stephan Linsky constituent hours February 1, 2013 / March 1, 2013 / April 5, 2013 / May 3, 2013 / June 7, 2013 / July 5, 2013 / August 2, 2013 / September 6, 2013 / October 4, 2013 / November 1, 2013 / December 6, 2013, 8:30 am–9:30 am
- Alderman Vicki Danberg constituent hours February 20, 2013 / March 20, 2013 / April 17, 2013 / May 15, 2013 / June 19, 2013 / July 17, 2013 / August 21, 2013 / September 18, 2013 / October 16, 2013 / November 20, 2013 / December 18, 2013, 10:00 am–11:00 am