Many falsely believe that hunger is just a problem in the inner city. But hundreds, if not thousands, of residents right here in Newton and in surrounding communities need help providing food for their families and turn to food pantries for assistance. Keep in mind that many food banks will be fully staffed during this popular Thanksgiving and holiday season, but they will definitely need donations now and volunteers throughout the rest of the year.
– Located at on Centre Street. Hours: Tuesdays 4 p.m. – 7 p.m. and the first Saturday of every month 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. Donations accepted when the pantry is open. Visit the Centre Street Food Pantry's website for more info and referrals, or call 617-340-9554.
– Located in the basement of the Waban Community Library at 1608 Beacon Street. Hours: Food is distributed Wednesdays 1:30am- 3:30 a.m. and the third Saturday of every month 10 a.m. - 11 a.m. The pantry is also open for donations 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. on Wednesdays and on the third Saturday from 10 a.m. - 11 a.m. Donations accepted at 6/7 days per week. For more information, contact Vicki at (617) 965-8906 or Jackie at (617) 527-2394. Referrals can be found through local clergy or the Community Social Worker at (617) 796-1282. on volunteering at the Waban food pantry.
– Located at the Hellenic Gospel Church on Church Street. Food and clothing is handed out on the fourth Friday of every month from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. A three-day supply of food is provided for eligible Newton residents. To make a donation, contact Lia at 617-821-6765. Referrals can be found through local clergy or the Community Social Worker at (617) 796-1282.
– Located at 51 Lincoln St. Hours: Mondays and Wednesdays 10:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. and Wednesdays 5 p.m. - 7 p.m. Grocery delivery available to the elderly and physically disabled, with prior arrangement. Referral forms are available online as well as more information about the pantry, including a food wish list.
– Located in the basement of the Wellesley Hills Congregational Church at 207 Washington St. Hours: Tuesdays 9 a.m.- 11 a.m. and the second Tuesday of every month 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Donations accepted on Mondays 9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. and at Roche Bros and Whole Foods during business hours. The food pantry's website offers a pantry wish list, referral forms and the ability to donate money online. For all other questions, contact the pantry at firstname.lastname@example.org or 781-235-1188.