Do you know a person, park or property that has successfully preserved part Newton's history?
According to a press release issued this week, Historic Newton and the Newton Historical Society have officially opened the nomination period for the fifth annual Newton Preservation Awards.
You can submit a nominations for the Preservation Awards online. Nominations for are due by Friday, Sept. 21, 2012.
According to the press release, projects that are eligible for an award include:
- Rehabilitations of a historic house or building
- A "sensitively designed" addition to a historic building
- Restoration of a historic landscape
- Education programs that "make students aware of Newton's architectural treasures"
- Organizations or individuals who have worked to maintain care for a historic property
In addition, nominations can be made for the Thelma Fleishman Personal Achievement Award, which honors an individual who is dedicated to preserving Newton's history.
included homes on Waverley Avenue and Sumner Street as well as the in Newton Highlands. Historic Newton awarded with the Fleishman Personal Achievement Award.
A ceremony for the 2012 Newton Preservation Awards will be held Tuesday, Nov. 27, 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. at the .