The Four Corners will soon see some significant renovations, pending a vote tonight from the full Board of Aldermen.
According to a July 17 report from the Board of Aldermen's Land Use Committee, the Walgreen's at 1101 Beacon St. is looking to expand as well as add new signage and improve its parking lot.
The 3,736-square-foot addition will include a stockroom, an employee room as well as a new pharmacy.
The current building, which was built in the 1980s, totals 9,963 square feet. According to the Land Use report, the aldermen must approve the site plan because the addition will push the building's total square footage over 10,000 square feet.
In addition, the property owners (Waban-132 LLC) applied for a special permit for four new signs on the property. A special permit is required because the proposed signs are more than the 100 square feet currently allowed for the property, the report said.
The Land Use Committee unanimously approved the special permits and site plans for the project on July 17, according to the report. A public hearing for the project was held on July 10.
Aside from the addition, new signs and parking improvements, other renovations and additions planned for the Walgreen's site include:
- Narrowing the curb cuts along Beacon Street and Walnut Street to 25 feet (this may reduce traffic cutting through the parking lot to avoid the intersection at Walnut Street and Beacon Street)
- A new façade that will incorporate more glass
- A new entrance that will face Walnut Street, rather than Beacon Street
- The number of parking spaces will be reduced from 54 spaces to 43 spaces, due to the expansion
- A new bike rack will be installed on the Beacon Street side of the building
- There will be four signs total, two on each side of the building
- Quieter HVAC equipment
According to the Land Use report, the property owners have met with the nearby condominium complex at 1111 Beacon St. and agreed on a number of improvements requested by the condominium residents. Some of these improvements include a quieter HVAC system on the roof, painting the west side of the building white, installing a fence around the dumpsters and adding a bench on the side of the building near where employees can congregate (rather than employees congregating near the condos).
The full Board of Aldermen will vote tonight on the project site plan and special permits. In addition, the board will also vote on a . The meeting is set to start at 7:45 p.m. in the Aldermanic Chamber at .
Information regarding temporary closure of the Walgreen's was not immediately available. Newton Patch will update with more information in the near future.