To celebrate the new year, we asked, "What business would you like to see open in Newton in 2013?"
Here's what you said:
- Vegan or vegetarian restaurant -- A few of our readers brought forward this idea, including Ima and Elia.
- Homemade pasta shop -- Teresa brought up this idea, suggesting a shop that sells homemade pasta, sauces, cheeses etc. -- something similar to Tutto Italiano in Wellesley.
- Used book, magazine, coffee and art shop -- This is an idea David Aust brought up, saying that he's interested in opening up a shop in Newtonville that would be "a bit like a storefront library or museum, but all items displayed will be for sale." There would be daily readings, lectures and special shows. David is looking for feedback, so let him know what you think in the comments section below!
- A cozy cafe/bistro -- Ima brought this idea up as well, saying that she's looking for something similar to Trident Booksellers & Cafe on Newbury Street.
- South Pacific -- We had a couple of readers mourn the closing of South Pacific and suggest its return. Summer Cohen wrote: "I am so sad South Pacific closed. I have been eating there since the 1950's. They had the best chinese anywhere in the country. I sure hope they re-open."
What Newton Patch readers DON'T want to see open:
- "Another bank, pizza parlor, Chinese restaurant, and dry cleaner," Ted Kaplan wrote.
- "What I would NOT like to see are more jewelry stores, and high end clothing stores in Newton Centre. We need more energy and life," Ima said.
Do you have any other ideas for Newton businesses in 2013? Tell us in the comments section below.