Patriots Day (also known in the Boston area as Marathon Monday) commemorates the Battles of Lexington and Concord, the start of the Revolutionary War.
The holiday is observed this year on Monday, April 15. It's a state holiday, but not a federal holiday.
Here's a handy list of what's open and closed during the holiday. Newton businesses—leave your store's hours in the comments section below.
- Newton City Hall and municipal offices
- Newton Free Library
- State Offices
- Newton trash/recycling pick-up will be delayed one day
- Stock market
- Federal offices
- Retail stores (at owner's discretion)
- Banks (at their discretion)
- Bars and restaurants
- Post offices
- Banks (at bank's discretion)
- MBTA: Most trains will operate on a regular weekday schedule, with some increased service for the Boston Marathon. Check out the MBTA website for complete details.