As we approach the Thursday Sept 6th primary day, here's a summary of where the campaign stands and the efforts I continue to make in order to earn your vote.
I’m running for Governor’s Councilor to bring civility and respect back to the office.
I’m proud to be endorsed across the 32 town/city district by public officials and community activists including Watertown/Waltham/Newton Mass. State Rep. John Lawn, members of the Newton Board of Aldermen, members of the Woburn Board of Aldermen, Bob Kelly - former president of the Waltham City Council, former Marlborough Mayor Mike McGorty, and many more.
In my public life, I am most proud of my accomplishments on the Newton Board of Aldermen, particularly my work on the Newton Silver Alert program to keep those with dementia safer. I then served on Governor Patrick’s working group that expanded this life-saving program across the Commonwealth.
I'm a husband of 22 years, married to my best friend Debby. I'm a father of two, David (21) and Rebecca (17) and I'm a member of the Newton Democratic City Committee and League of Women Voters. My complete bio is on my website.
Why am I running for Governor's Council? In recent years the Council has been riddled with personality conflicts and punitive and sometimes inappropriate questioning of the nominees. It has fallen short of being a source of pride. Most voters I've spoken with feel we have an opportunity to bring a well-grounded, respectful and fresh perspective to the position.
- The Governor’s Council is the only opportunity for the public to have input into the governor’s lifetime judicial and other nominations.
- The job of councilor is also significant when deciding on parole board nominations, as it is critical to balance public safety with compassion.
- As a non-attorney, I have no potential conflicts of interests and can be a completely objective citizen voice when voting on nominees, which comes after the requisite legal qualifications review by a separate Judicial Nominating Commission consisting of all attorneys.
- My professional experience as a teacher and news reporter gives me the skills to do the necessary research, ask appropriate questions, and sift through the answers on your behalf.
- I'm proudly pro choice and pro equal marriage. (In contrast, the incumbent was endorsed by Mass Prolife and has avoided stating her position).
I'm asking for your vote so we can increase the level of civility on the Council, treat all nominees with respect and dignity, and make the council somthing we can all be proud of.
Together we can make the change we need on the Governor’s Council.
Still undecided? Please take time to .
There is also a full length interview available on demand on NewTV's website.
We have an opportunity to make a positive change on the Governor's Council.
With your help, we can make that opportunity a reality.
Please vote "Shapiro" this Thursday. Polls are open 7am - 8pm.
Democrat for Governor's Councilor