1. Tax rate hearing. The Newton Board of Aldermen will meet in a Committee of the Whole tonight to discuss the tax rate for next year. The tax classification hearing will be held at 7 p.m. in the Aldermanic Chamber at City Hall. Check out this story for more information on how Newton sets its tax rate. More information on tonight's tax classification hearing is included in the .pdf section to the right.
2. Board of Aldermen - regular meeting. Following the tax rate hearing, the Board of Aldermen will meet for its regularly scheduled meeting. The board will continue to discuss tonight whether to place the proposed $11.4 million override package on a March 12, 2013 special election ballot. The board is also scheduled to vote on a proposed residential building on Cherry Street. The full reports docket for tonight's meeting is included in the .pdf section to the right.
3. The Art of Comforting. The Newton Free Library will host author Val Walker tonight for a talk and book signing. Walker, author of The Art of Comforting, will talk about how to comfort loved ones dealing with adversity. The event is free. Check-in is at 6:15 p.m. and the event starts at 6:30 p.m.
4. Riverside discussion. The Newton Planning & Development Board will continue its public hearing tonight on the proposed zoning change at Riverside Station on Grove Street. If this zoning change is passed, it will allow a mixed-use development on the site (such as the one proposed by BH Normandy). The meeting will be held at 7 p.m. in room 209 at City Hall.
5. Chamber music. Boston College's Chamber Music Society will host a concert tonight of solo instrumental and vocal performances given by BC students. The concert starts at 7:30 p.m. in Gasson Hall and admission is free.