Updated 9:10 a.m.
1. Newton Public Schools closed. With DPW crews still clearing up streets and sidewalks, NPS officials decided to cancel school for today. All schools will be closed, including the preschool at the Education Center and Lincoln-Eliot Elementary. The Education Center will be open, though.
2. UPDATED: School Committee scheduled to meet. The Newton School Committee meeting has been canceled. The next scheduled meeting is Mon., Feb. 25.
3. Trash/recycling pickup on schedule. According to city officials, trash and recycling pickup will resume as normal today.
4. Take it slow on the roads this morning. Rain is in the forecast. Coupled with the slushy snow, drivers could have a tough time today on slippery roads. Please be careful while you're out and about today. Also, read through these tips from MEMA regarding roof collapses -- rain and heavy snow could weigh down roofs and cause them to cave in.
5. MBTA service. After suspending service for much of the weekend, the MBTA is planning to be back up and running this morning. However, riders should plan some extra time for their commutes, as trains and trolleys are still dealing with snow-packed rails. Riders should also be careful on station platforms and on walkways.