1. Chinese New Year Lion Dance. Independent Mortgage will celebrate the Chinese New Year with its annual Lion Dance outside its offices at 118 Needham St. The event starts at 12:30 p.m.
2. Moonrise Kingdom. Come check out Wes Anderson's latest film, Moonrise Kingdom, this afternoon at the Newton Free Library. The free screening is open to anyone 13 and older and will be held in the Druker Auditorium at 2 p.m.
3. Tomorrow: Tanglewood Marionettes. The Newton Cultural Center will once again host the Tanglewood Marionettes tomorrow. The show, "The Dragon King" will be held at 2 p.m. A second show for 3:30 p.m. has been added due to popularity. Purchase your tickets now online ($8), or take a chance tomorrow and buy them at the door ($10).
4. Basketball playoffs. The MIAA announced the basketball brackets yesterday. The Newton North boys' team was seeded in the No. 2 spot and has a bye in the preliminary round; they will face No. 15 Madison Park on Feb. 28 at 7 p.m. in Newton. The Newton South boys' team is seeded at No. 17 and will face No. 16 West Roxbury on Feb. 26 at 7 p.m. in W. Roxbury. As for the girls, the Newton South team is seeded at No. 17 and they will face Taunton in a preliminary round game on Feb. 25 at 7 p.m. in Taunton. The Newton North team was seeded at No. 1 and has a bye in the preliminary round; they will face either Newton South or Taunton on Feb. 27 at 7 p.m. in Newton.
5. Have you "liked" Newton Patch on Facebook? Find more updates, photos and conversation by "liking" our Facebook page!