1. School Committee. After a bit of a hiatus, the Newton School Committee will meet tonight at 7 p.m. in the Education Center. The jam-packed agenda includes a facilities update, a report on class size and an update on school fees. The full agenda is included in the .pdf section to the right.
2. Playoff games. The No. 17 Newton South girls' basketball team will face No. 16 Taunton tonight in a preliminary round game for the South Div. 1 playoffs. The game will be held at Taunton High School at 7 p.m. In addition, the No. 13 Newton North girls' ice hockey team will face No. 20 Shrewsbury tonight in a preliminary round game for the Division 1 playoffs. That game will take place at Watertown's Ryan Rink (1 Paramount Pl.) at 7 p.m.
3. Public hearing. The Zoning and Planning Committee and the Planning and Development Board will hold a public hearing tonight on proposed changes to the city ordinance dealing with sidewalk cafe seating. The hearing will be held at 7:45 p.m. in the Aldermanic Chamber at City Hall. Details on the proposed amendments can be found on the city's website.
4. Acoustic open mic. Mick Morgan's Pub will host an acoustic open mic tonight at 8:30 p.m. Musicians of all styles and levels of experience are welcome to sign up and play.
5. Take it slow this morning. With freezing temperatures overnight and some untreated roadways, this morning's commute may be a bit slippery after yesterday's rain/snow mix, the National Weather Service says. Drivers are urged to be cautious and plan extra time for morning travel.