1. Early release day. Today is an early release day for the Newton Public Schools. This means elementary school students will be out at 12:30 p.m., preschool at noon, middle school at 11:30 a.m. and high school at 11 a.m.
2. Override opposition meeting. The group opposing the mayor's $11.4 million override proposal, Moving Newton Forward, will hold a discussion and meeting tonight at the American Legion Post 440. The meeting starts at 7 p.m.
3. Art reception. The Newton Free Library will host a reception this evening for one of its new exhibits, To Be Continued by Judith Greenberg. The reception starts at 7 p.m. and is free and open to the public.
4. The Help. The Newton Senior Center will feature a showing of the popular movie The Help today at 1 p.m.
5. Styrofoam, election discussion. The Board of Aldermen's Programs & Services Committee will meet tonight to discuss an election item as well as a possible styrofoam ban in the city. The election item is a request to forego a special election for Ald. Carleton Merrill's seat. The meeting starts at 7:45 p.m. in room 222 at City Hall.