1. Go Lions! The Newton South High School girls' varsity basketball team will face Acton-Boxborough in a home match tonight at 5:30 p.m. The boys will head to A-B for a 5:30 p.m. away game.
2. Indoor Farmers' Market. The Newton Indoor Farmers' Market will be open today from 1:30 p.m. - 6 p.m. at the Hyde Community Center in Newton Highlands.
3. Land Use meeting. The Board of Aldermen's Land Use Committee will meet tonight at 7 p.m. in the Aldermanic Chamber/Room 222 at City Hall. The committee will hold several public hearings tonight, including a request from The Street (Chestnut Hill Shopping Center) for a "comprehensive sign package" at its shopping mall. The committee's full agenda is included in the .pdf section to the right.
4. Still waiting to recycle that Christmas tree? This week is your last chance for curbside tree recycling in Newton. Residents are asked to place the tree curbside by 7 a.m. on their regular trash/recycling pick-up day. Trees must be free of all decorations and cannot be placed in a bag.
5. Teen action group meets tonight. Local teens and adults are welcome to join two action groups this week that are based on the discussions held at the Newton Youth Summit in October 2012. According to a flyer posted on the city's website, the action groups are "an opportunity for all to express their opinions and to push forward toward solutions to be discussed at Youth Summit II," which will be held in March. The Academic Stress and Time Management Action Group will meet tonight at 5:30 p.m. in the John M. Barry Boys and Girls Club upstairs boardroom. The Youth and Adult Conversation/Collaboration Action Group will meet Thursday, Jan. 17 at 5:30 p.m. in the West Suburban YMCA wellness room.