1. Blood drive. The Newton Free Library will host a blood drive today from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Druker Auditorium.
2. Go Lions! The Newton South boys varsity basketball team will face St. Peter-Marian in a home match tonight at 7 p.m.
3. Subcommittee meetings. The Newton Board of Aldermen's Public Facilities, Programs & Services and Public Safety & Transportation committees will meet tonight in City Hall rooms 209, 222 and 202, respectively. Programs & Services will meet jointly in room 209 with Public Facilities at 7 p.m. Public Safety's meeting will start at 7:45 p.m. The agendas for tonight's meetings are included in the .pdf section to the right.
4. Open mic. Cafe Sol Azteca in Newton Centre will host an acoustic open mic tonight starting at 8:30 p.m. The open mic welcomes musicians of all genres and talent levels.
5. Author event. Author B.A. Shapiro will be at the New England Mobile Book Fair this evening to discuss her latest book, The Art Forger. The event starts at 7 p.m. and will be followed by a book signing.