1. Congrats on a great season, Tigers! After dominating throughout the post-season, the Newton North girls' volleyball team lost to Barnstable 3-1 in the state Div. 1 championship game on Saturday, Nov. 17. The Tigers finish their stellar season 22-2.
2. Hemlock Gorge ribbon cutting. The Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation will join up with the city to hold a ribbon cutting at Hemlock Gorge today at 3:30 p.m. The ribbon cutting will celebrate the Hemlock Gorge Dike Rehabilitation Project. Those who are interested in attending can meet at Hemlock Gorge, 1 Ellis St.
3. Special School Committee meeting. The Newton School Committee will hold a special meeting today at 4 p.m. The meeting, which will take place in the Education Center, will focus on the continued discussion of system-wide goals and superintendent goals.
4. Board of Aldermen meeting/joint meeting. The Newton Board of Aldermen will meet at 7 p.m. (note the earlier time) tonight in the Aldermanic Chamber at Newton City Hall. The board will vote on a number of items including an item that would demolish the former teen center at 429 Cherry St. and in its place, construct a three-story apartment building. The full reports docket is available in the .pdf section to the right. Following the full board meeting, the aldermen and the School Committee will meet jointly to discuss the Angier Elementary rebuilding project.
5. "Make Film History." Former Newton alderman Robert Gerst will give a book talk tonight at the Newton Free Library. The talk will focus on Gerst's book, "Make Film History: Rewrite, Reshoot, and Recut the World’s Greatest Films." The free event starts at 7:30 p.m.