1. Newton Cultural Center open house. The will celebrate its eighth anniversary today with The Gerwick Puppets will perform "Three Little Pigs and Other Tales" at 10:30 a.m. and the Suzuki School of Newton will perform at noon. Other activities include arts and crafts, play time in the gym and "green" activities for kids with Green Decade/Newton.
2. Family Day at the Waterworks Museum. The Metropolitan Waterworks Museum in Chestnut Hill Today's festivities will include scavenger hunts, museum tours, story time, Waterworks Jeopardy, and hands-on projects. The event is free and open to the public. The museum is located at 2450 Beacon St. in Chestnut Hill.
3. Electronics drop-off. The on Rumford Avenue hosts special Friday/Saturday drop-offs for electronics once per month. Today you can drop off electronics from 8 a.m. - noon. A full list of acceptable materials is available online. There will be a $12 charge to recycle each TV or computer monitor, and all other appliances and electronics accepted free-of-charge. Check or cash accepted, made payable to "CRT Recycling."
4. Yard sales. There are . Make sure you check out our list of sales so you can find where to get some deals.
5. Mass Audubon's Photo Contest. Mass Audubon's Third Annual Photo Contest, Picture This: Your Great Outdoors, will accept submissions until Sunday, Sept. 30. Photographers of all ages and skill levels are invited to enter the contests. The Grand Prize winner will be awarded a $250 gift card good for Mass Audubon programs and events and for gift shop purchases at Mass Audubon’s statewide network of wildlife sanctuaries. Winners in specific categories will receive $100 gift cards. To submit photos and view the complete rules, visit: www.massaudubon.org/picturethis.