1. Upper Falls Soup Social. The Upper Falls community will host a soup social at the tonight at 6 p.m. The nine new members of the Upper Falls Area Council will also be sworn in during this event. Take some time to come by and meet your neighbors!
2. Stamp price going up. Starting tomorrow, U.S. Stamps will increase by one cent, from 44 to 45 cents, according to the U.S. government-run USA.gov.
3. Go Lions! The girls' varsity ice hockey team will face Westford Academy in a home match today at 2:15 p.m. The game will take place at the Dexter School in Brookline (20 Newton St.)
4. Snow! Snow is expected during the day today, mainly before 3 p.m., according to the National Weather Service. Total snowfall is estimated to be between 3-5 inches. For more Newton winter weather information, .
5. Writing workshop. will host its monthly writing workshop today from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. Interested writers can pay now online or pay at the workshop, but seating priority will be given to those who pay in advance online. Today's instructor is fiction writer James Scott, whose work has been included in a number of publications, including Post Road Magazine.