Tuesday night was a busy one for firefighters from Newton and surrounding communities as two serious fires burned in different parts of the city – a three-alarm fire on Nahanton Street and a two-alarm on Crafts Street.
“Two fires in one shift is – I’ve been on for 10 years – and it has only happened once to me before last night,” said Newton Fire Lt. Eric Fricke. “Two at the same time, the chief (Bruce Proia) said he’s never seen it, and that’s three plus decades.”
About 7:20 p.m., the Fire Department responded to a fire at 285 Nahanton Street. The blaze in the two-story house started in the chimney and spread to the attic, Fricke said.
“That fire extended the fire in the fireplace into the attic and the second floor,” Fricke said.
No one was injured in the fire. The three-alarm blaze required all the Newton fire trucks to put it out, along with a fire engine from Boston and a ladder truck from Waltham.
As crews were still on the scene of the Nahanton Street fire, the call came in for a fire at a three-story home at 499 Crafts Street. With Newton firefighters occupied, fire crews from other cities had to deal with the fire.
The out-of-town companies were covering stations while Newton was busy. Usually this means a medical run or minor incident, but Tuesday they had to fight a two-alarm fire.
Fire crews from Waltham, Watertown, Wellesley, Needham, Weston, Brookline and Boston fought the fire.
A man was trapped by the blaze on the third floor of the home on Crafts Street. A firefighter rescued him on a ladder.
A few people were injured in the fire.
“We transported the gentleman on the third floor to Brigham and Women’s with serious injuries, but not life threatening,” Fricke said. “Another resident of the home was taken to Newton-Wellesley suffering from smoke inhalation.”
Two Newton first responders were also injured. A Newton Firefighter went to Newton-Wellesley with a shoulder injury and a Newton Police officer went to Newton-Wellesley suffering from smoke inhalation.
The Crafts Street fire was determined not to be suspicious and the preliminary cause is an electrical fire, according to Chief Proia.