Throughout this week, we'll be looking back at some of the most read stories from the year gone-by. Yesterday, we reviewed the and today we take a look at the police and fire stories that had you, the readers, visiting our site.
If you're new to Newton Patch, these recaps will be a way to familiarize yourself with what Patch has been up to during 2011. If you're a longtime reader, this is your chance to reminisce. The stories below are presented in no particular order.
1. Newton searches for missing New York man (March 5-8)
An abandoned car in Chestnut Hill whose car was found outside the Brimmer & May school. The parents of traveled to Newton to plea for the public's help in finding their son. Sadly, on the shoreline of East Boston.
2. Waverley Avenue fire (Feb. 21)
In the early-morning hours of February 21, in Newton Corner, . A few months later, her close friend and roommate spoke with Newton Patch to tell Deare's story and .
3. Auburndale Avenue fire (March 30)
On the evening of March 30, at a triple-decker home in West Newton. Everyone made it out safe, thanks to the , who rushed into the burning building to alert a young family. for his efforts in the rescue.
4. Chestnut Hill tower evacuated (Feb. 18)
Although there was not a large blaze, Newton struck three alarms on February 18 for area departments to assist . An electrical fire knocked out power, .
5. Conviction stands for Newton man charged with assault (Aug. 15)
The Massachusetts Appeals Court in 2008.
6. Woman dies in Memorial Day weekend blaze (May 30)
that tore through a Newton Centre home on Cottonwood Road.
7. Watertown Street shooting (March 17)
A St. Patrick's Day shooting shocked Nonantum earlier this year. The reported shooter on Watertown Street. No one was seriously injured during the shooting. Later this year, the incident was linked to another arrest in Watertown and .
8. Reported Crystal Lake drowning (Aug. 19)
Newton Police and Fire crews and not return to the surface. , the search came up negative.
9. Man dies after fall from radio tower (Oct. 12)
A 30-year-old man from Iowa died in October . The man was doing maintenance on the side of the tower when he fell.
10. Newton man connected with Waltham drug bust (Oct. 20)
in Waltham, which involves a former Watertown town councilor. The case .