.

Soldering Torch Sparks Attic Fire in Newton

The fire broke out on North Street Wednesday, May 1.

A fire sparked by a contractor's soldering torch caused approximately $50,000 in damage at a North Street home yesterday. 

Newton Fire crews responded to the scene around 11:15 a.m. Wednesday, May 1 after a neighbor reported the fire, according to a press release from the Newton Fire Department.

The fire, which broke out in the attic of 59 North St., started when a contractor was soldering two sections of a copper gutter together, the press release said.

Two dozen firefighters used multiple ladder trucks to reach the fire and managed to contain the flames to just the attic area in the corner of the house.

No one was injured during the fire, the press release said.

After opening up part of the roof and third floor ceiling to check if the fire spread, crews cleared the scene at the Newtonville home around 12:35 p.m. 

Both Newton Police and Waltham Police responded to the scene to help shut down nearby roads and handle traffic control during the fire, the press release said. 

Looking for more Newton police and fire news? Follow Newton Patch on Facebook and Twitter, or sign up for our email newsletters.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »