(EDITOR'S NOTE: The following is a letter from Sudbury Public Schools to SPS parents.)
Dear SPS Families:
I am writing to update you on the enhancements to security procedures that were announced at the January 2, 2013 School Committee meeting. We are moving forward with the installation of front door buzzers and cameras at all schools, and have begun the procurement process necessary to make this happen.
This process, which we anticipate taking 8-10 weeks, is required by state law for all projects of this potential cost, and no exceptions are permitted. Given that length of time, we will be implementing additional front door procedures in the interim.
Beginning on Monday, January 14, 2013, front doors at each school will be locked. There will be a TEMPORARY door attendant at each school, during school hours, until front door security devices are installed. Please note the following important information:
- The door attendant will have lists of expected visitors/volunteers for each day and will verify the name and purpose of visit for each person who comes to the building.
- If the visitor/volunteer's name is on the list, he/she will be informed of the sign-in procedure and receive a badge that must be worn while on campus.
- Each visitor/volunteer will be required to sign-out upon exiting the building.
- If the visitor/volunteer's name is not on a list of expected visitors/volunteers, that individual will be instructed to report to office staff where the purpose for their visit will be verified. All visitors/volunteers should be prepared to produce ID. While our office staff is familiar with many parents and families, they will be instructed to verify ID if there is any doubt.
- Previously communicated procedures for entry to the school for school activities before and after school will continue indefinitely.
- In the near future, you will receive any additional school specific information from your school principal.
The Sudbury Public Schools is committed to providing a safe environment for our students. I thank you, in advance, for your patience and understanding with these enhanced safety procedures.
Anne S. Wilson
Superintendent of Schools